Student Choice Project: Post 5

Its been a busy week!  After many scratches and nicks in my fingers, I managed to finish the metal armature of my octopus character and perform a short test with it.

Octopus
Octopus

I am pretty happy with the mixture of stability and flexibility that the figure has.  The lowest portion of its body has wires that cross and are attached to each other at the intersection to increase stability.  The belly portion also involves wires that cross, but one is looped around the other instead of firmly attached.  This allows the wires to slide along each other increasing the range of movement so that the creature can have a bouncy belly.  The neck is attached to the body with slightly loosened loops of wire so that the head may turn.  It wasn't easy to make, and the sting in my fingers suggest that perhaps I should invest in a good pair of gloves.  However, I am pretty satisfied with the overall results.  Hopefully, I will be able to continue building onto this skeleton (my order from JoAnn's fabrics has finally arrived).  In any case, I have learned a lot from this project about manipulating wire so that it performs in the way I want it to.

DSCN7319
DSCN7319

As for now, I am going to rest my fingers.  Especial my thumb.